The Bishop Moore College is governed and administered by the CSI Madhya Kerala Diocese. The CSI Madhya Kerala Diocese are the inheritors of the rich legacy of the Anglican CMS Missionaries who were the pioneers of Education in Kerala. It was the erstwhile Diocese of Travancore and Cochin which later came to be known as the Madhya Kerala Diocese. Prominent among the CMS Missionaries were Rev. Thomas Norton, Rev. Benjamin Bailey, and Rev. Joseph Peet. The missionaries started primary and secondary schools and also built the prestigious CMS College in 1838. It is their work in the educational field which has put Kerala in the forefront of literacy. It is no exaggeration to say that if not for the arrival of CMS missionaries, Kerala would not have achieved its acclaimed social development, especially its high literacy rates.
The missionaries were the pioneers in the field of printing. They mastered the native language of Malayalam and printed two complete editions of the Holy Scriptures and two of the Common Prayer book. Benjamin Bailey also wrote a English-Malayalam Dictionary and a Malayalam-English Dictionary. In 1848 the first periodical in Malayalam ‘the Treasury of Knowledge’ (Jnananikshepam) was published and is still being published as the Diocesan Magazine.
Another notable contribution of the missionaries was in the field of female education. Mrs. Fenn and Mrs. Baker started the very first girls school in India. The missionaries have made an inestimable contribution to the social, economic and cultural development of Kerala.